Thursday, June 16, 2011

Makoshika State Park, Montana, June 16

Hi everyone,  I heard it said that the joy is in the journey, not the destination.  So I decided to start posting early.  I was going to start when we got to the Canadian Rockies, but we are having such a good time, I wanted to share it with you.
We started out on Monday and drove 2 hard days and decided to take it easy for a couple of days so here we are at Makoshika State Park.
To the Sioux Indians, Ma-ko-shi-ka meant bad earth or bad land. Today, as Montana's largest state park, the pine and juniper studded badland formations house the fossil remains of such dinosaurs as tyrannosaurus rex and triceratops.  We didn't expect the badlands to be in Montana but they are so similar to the badlands in S. Dakota, we were amazed.  They are more whimsical in nature with their fluted hillsides, pinnacles and caprocks.  We drove the dirt roads overlooking the park and it is quite a sight!  Lots of walking trails, archery range and other attractions.  I can't believe we are on the road again.  I think we were born to do this.  We just started and I am as excited as a little girl.  Love you all

No comments:

Post a Comment