Wednesday, June 17, 2009

June 16, Capital Reef Nat’l Park

Hi everyone, We had a very fun and tense drive through the mountains and reached a 9600 ft. summit before going down to our park. We made it though. We set up camp and after lunch drove through this beautiful park. It is a great sinuous wrinkle in the Earth’s crust that stretches for 100 miles across S. Central Utah. We drove 25 miles off road and saw a lot of it on our drive into the park. This impressive buckling of rock created 65 million years ago by the same tremendous forces that later uplifted the Colorado Plateau is called Waterpocket Fold. Capital Reef preserves the fold and its beautiful eroded jumble of colorful cliffs, stark monoliths, twisting canyons and graceful arches. We have never seen such an array of different artistry. And the colors! Aqua, pink, purple, vermillion, black and gray. Sometimes the colors all collide into each other and make for a spectacular sight. We were awe-struck. This is one of the best parks we have seen. It just keeps getting better and better. What awaits us, no one can tell. Love you all.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome pictures!!! They are so pretty! I can't wait till you guys get to the Badlands. The Black Hills are pretty cool too, though. Everyone tried to tell me that Mt. Rushmore wasn't as big as people make it out to be but I was NOT disappointed. I love places that make you feel like your a part of a country like ours. So patriotic. Mt. Rushmore and Washington D.C. are the only places that have ever made me feel like that. So I think you'll love it.

    Thanks for commenting on my blog :) I love reading what you have to say. I'm TOTALLY going to use the bartending tip. Why didn't I think of that?!?! Crazy. It's just brilliant. Anyway, yes the invitations I was talking about were for Maris' wedding and I'm sure she'd love for you to be there. She has a limit of 100 guests because it's at Stan Hywet and they don't want a bunch of people stompin' up the grounds and pretty flowers, ya know? We're going through the guest list soon though so I'll see what's going on because I know she would want you to come. She loves you. :) I just got off the phone with her and she has a 2nd interview with Bloomingdale's for a big girl job tomorrow. Think of her and send her positive energy around 2:00 (our time). She's really nervous but I know she'll do great. I'll tell you more about it later.

    Love you guys.

    Brit

    P.S. I love the pictures but are there any animals out there where you are? What the heck? I wanna see some creatures!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S.2-- Sorry that was so long. :) hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! so pretty out there. Someday- - -

    ReplyDelete