Sunday, June 28, 2009

June 28, Pikes Peak

Hi everyone, Pikes Peak is awesome! It has an altitude of 14,110 ft. I know I could not live there. I had altitude sickness at 8,000 ft. But it was definitely worth the trip up. It took us 3 hours round trip. The summit temp. was 36 degrees. Around every bend in the road there was different scenery. When you get to the top, there are views of 4 different states. In fact, the beauty of the summit inspired Katherine Lee Bates to write the words of America the Beautiful. In the 1800's it served as a beacon for wagons in search of gold. As far as mountains go, Pikes Peak is the most beautiful we have seen. Tomorrow Denver. Love you all

1 comment:

  1. Cool, is that snow you're holding? So... wait a second, who took the picture?

    Can't be Grandpa...

    ...

    Isn't he likely to convulse and die on sight of snow alone? I mean, let alone the cold temp. Wait, is that just what he's told me all these years when I've wanted you guys to come back from Florida early?

    ...

    I have to go think.

    Brit

    P.S. Tell Papa I have a bone to pick with him. Going out West to see SNOW. The horror.

    ReplyDelete